Blog Roll - CICS News
You are viewing all posts from April, 2012. To return to the front page, click here.
CICS Workers Report
Tuesday 3rd April 2012 7:19 PM
- 'It's not about the money!' So states the chorus of a recent music video. Used alongside a paraphrased version of the Parable of the Talents followed by a challenge about how we spend our time (talents standing for all the investment of time God gives us daily) this was the basis of assemblies in March at Rastrick High School and Brooksbank.
- Easter assemblies will be delivered to KS 3 at Brighouse High School during the final week of term.
Hipperholme and Lighcliffe High School
- The Plasticine gospel Lesson was greatly appreciated by students and staff for all 9 year 7 RE groups Students were fully engaged and asked great questions about the Christian faith.
- During December through to February selected Y 11 students from the school were encouraged and assisted to raise funds for Help for Heroes.
Alcohol Education pack
This is a joint initiative between Tony and Paul Blakey MBE to develop and produce an education pack designed for teenagers to think around issues surrounding alcohol use and misuse . When completed Tony will trial a session with local Church Youth groups before piloting with local schools.
All going well as preparations are made for Easter. The Tuesday group at Trinity Academy are ready for a new challenge and will use a Tim Hawkins resource, 'Awesome on the Inside' Students will each have a copy of the well produced course book to keep as a reminder of the sessions.
An amazing130 young people participated in this regular survey type activity at lunch time at Brighouse High recently. Questions just before the Easter break were around how & what Christians celebrate at Easter, and multiple choice options produced some interesting discussions. 'No, I don't think it's about John the Baptist - didn't Jesus die about then!'It has proved to be such an effective contact tool that, following a successful trial run, we hope to alternate the activity between Brighouse and Brooksbank schools.
Careers Fair Feb 22nd
Our participation for the third time in Brighouse High School careers fair was the most productive one yet. We compiled a survey about careers, education and employment which was relevant to the current climate and gave young people opportunity to share opinions the outlook for their futures.
Staff News and Training and a New Office Space
We are delighted to be able to welcome Chris Mason to the CICS team. Chris, like Laura, works for YACL and will be doing a few hours a week for CICS. This gives a very good link between the detached town centre work carried out by YACL and CICS school work.
Tony was recently able to be involved in a supportive role in Youth Costa Night and YACL Pancake party. He will shortly be moving his office into the premises at New Ebenezer at the bottom of Pellon Lane, Halifax, where YACL is already based.
- We offer our warmest thanks to St Georges House for the rent free use of office space there and to Noah's Ark Café who also provided accommodation in our early days.
- Tony continues to meet termly with leaders from York & Leeds Schools Work Trust and to attend NE networking events for staff and associates. At the most recent in Feb 2012 the subject was 'The Summer of Opportunity' - making the most of Euro 2012, the Queens Diamond Jubilee & Olympic Games.
- The national SU conference takes place in April in Northampton and the SU northern conference at Cliff College Derbyshire in June.
- Tony and Laura are working towards completing Oasis 'Mentoring Through Intentional Relationships' training. It is hoped this will provide another opening into work that can be offered to schools.
Up dates to Churches.
- Tony continues to visit churches and church groups to up date on the work. He plans to visit Rastrick Churches Men's Fellowship on June 8th, Churches Together in Todmorden on 11th June and Warley St John's Halifax on July 22nd.
- To book Tony or one of the trustees to visit your church please contact us by email or phone.
Edinburgh Marathon May 27th
Tony is training hard to take part in this event. He needs sponsorship Please contact us if you can take a sponsor form or make a donation
Please continue to pray for all aspect of our work and the workers. Feel free to reproduce any of this report in your church publications.
Posted 7:19 PM | Permalink